Saturday 10 August 2013

Rogers 'relieved' to get first Test ton

Australia opener Chris Rogers has revealed that he felt "relieved" to score his maiden Test century at the age of 35 on day two of the 4th Investec Ashes Test at the Emirates Durham International Cricket Ground.


Rogers is playing in just his fifth Test for the Baggy Greens after being recalled for the first time since making his debut in 2008 against India.  The 35-year-old admitted that he thought his chance of scoring his first ton had escaped him after losing his wicket for 84 at Old Trafford.

He said: "It was a nervous time, I got the score in the last game and thought maybe that was my opportunity and then I got to the 90's and the England boys were saying if you don't score it now, you may never.

"It was a fantastic moment to finally get it. After all this time you're fully aware how much it means to get a hundred playing for your country is just a magnificent moment. I'm so happy and so relieved I got it.

"I'm not huge celebrator but after all this time, after playing a lot of domestic cricket, to get this opportunity is one I never thought I would and to get a hundred is something you can only dream of, I guess you just want to soak it all up."

No comments:

Post a Comment