Sunday 11 August 2013

The voice secret - honey and lemon


Jonathan Agnew had to "sharpen up" the next morning ready for commentary after Ian Botham's annual barbecue at his North Yorkshire home for cricket friends and colleagues on Saturday night. 
"I have to look after my voice and on tours it becomes quite an issue – I’m a big honey and lemon in water man every day on tour for about a month. It really helps when you are broadcasting all day every day."
Before the Test started, Jonathan met his radio sparring partner Geoffrey Boycott for a live stage show in Newcastle to raise money for the PCA Benevolent Fund.
The pair were dubbed by Wisden as "The Lennon and McCartney of cricket broadcasting". Jonathan joked: "To be honest I’m not quite sure which is which - 'Little and Large' might be more appropriate maybe.
"But seriously I love working with Geoffrey - we are a good, if unlikely, combination. But in commentary at Durham when I was explaining the DRS I thought he was going to hit me!"
The Benevolent fund helps professional cricketers who fall on hard times and also supports families.
"A very good example of its importance is the help the fund has been able to provide for the family of former Surrey left-arm quick bowler David Thomas, who had multiple sclerosis and died in the early 1980's aged 53.
"That was well before his time. It's a very very worth cause and it's nice to be able to do something to support it," added Jonathan.
   


No comments:

Post a Comment